You’ve tried the gliders in the stores. Many of them are too small, feel tight and don’t give you enough room to move around or change positions.
The good news is you can get extra wide glider rockers for the nursery if you know where to look.
I’ve done the looking so you don’t have to 🙂
These gliders are wide with tall backs. Some include an ottoman if you prefer that.
Comfortable extra wide nursery gliders new parents love
But first, an observation + advice.
Many glider rockers for the nursery have a seating width of 18-19 inches. The gliders featured on this page range from 20-22 inches wide.
I’ve done my best to include the size specifications for each nursery chair as described by the manufacturers. There are a couple of videos at the bottom of this page to help you decide which extra wide glider rocker best fits you.
1. Million Dollar Baby Classic Crawford Extra Wide Nursery Glider
One mom on Reddit says that when she sat on a Million Dollar Baby glider, she didn’t want to get up. Talk about a comfortable chair!
The repeating themes of the reviews of this glider focus on two good things about it:
- That it’s very quiet
- That it’s easy to put together
Some more notable features of the Million Dollar Baby Classic glider:
- maximum weight limit: 300 lbs.
- swivels & glides
- available in grey and cream
- overall measurement: 39” H x 32” W x 36” D
- seat measurement: 39.5” H x 22” W x 20” D
- Back Height – Seat to Top of Back: 26”
- seat cushion thickness: 7.5”
- Read more about the Million Dollar Baby Classic glider on Amazon
2. DaVinci Piper Swivel Recliner Glider
You may have heard of the Piper Glider on your search for a nursery chair. That’s because it’s one of the most popular glider chairs. This chair seems to fit the requirements of many parents. And with the seat measuring 22.125 inches wide, it’s one of the widest nursery gliders I’ve found.
Go and check out the DaVinci Piper Glider and you’ll find that it’s one of those chairs that tries very hard to be the ultimate glider rocker for the nursery.
- It glides, reclines and swivels (all three movements covered)
- It has a weight limit of 300 lbs.
- It has a wide seat PLUS a tall back
- It doesn’t take up too much space
- It’s very easy to put together. Just snap 2 part together, add in the lumbar cushion and that’s it.
The only possible problem I can see is that shorter parents might have a problem with it. But apart from that, you can’t go wrong with this extra wide glider rocker.
- overall measurement: 39.25” H x 34” W x 30.5” D
- seat measurement: 18.5” H x 22.125” W x 22” D
- back height: 19”
- weight capacity: 300 lbs
- seat cushion thickness: 6.25 inches
- depth of seat
- glides, reclines & swivels
- wipe clean with cloth
3. Budget-friendly No-fuss wide glider by Dolonm
Just as the title above implies, this is a no-fuss glider rocker.
It’s a heavy-duty chair with a maximum capacity of 300 lbs.
I don’t recognize the brand so I was a bit hesitant to add this to the list. But after reading the reviews, I think it’s earned its seat at the table.
We can agree that it’s not the perfect chair. But its simplicity is what makes it appealing. It’s available in a few different colors, too.
Dimensions worth noting
- overall size: 27.1” L x 37” W x 39.7” H
- Ergonomically-designed heavy-duty arc base (rubber)
I can’t find specific details on exactly how wide the seat is. However, one of the reviews say ,
“I’m 5/2 and 250 lbs, so you can imagine how wide I am, and this chair doesn’t crowd me at all, it’s perfect.”
Is it wise to buy a glider online?
This is a significant purchase, so if you can, go to a showroom and test the glider.
However, if these gliders are not be available in your nearest baby furniture store, no problem. The chairs above all link to Amazon. This means you can easily return them.
A request: If you do buy one of these chairs, I would appreciate it if you write a comment below to review it. That way, you can help other parents make this important decision too
Are these gliders comfortable?
In looking for the top three gliders to feature on this page, I tried my best to feature only glider rockers that get great reviews. I’ve read a few different sites to try and triangulate which gliders to include here.
One of the main criteria I used was how comfy the gliders are. When you use these gliders in the nursery for feeding your baby, there’s nothing more important than comfort. When you’re awake for the second time at night, you want nothing but a comfortable feeding chair.
The gliders above all have extra wide seating and a tall back to rest your head on.
Should I buy a rocker, glider or recliner?
In a perfect world, get a glider that also rocks and reclines.
The rocker will help soothe tired, fuzzy or colicky babies.
The recliner will make feeding a lot easier and more comfortable for you.
However, there aren’t that many extra-wide nursery rockers that have all these features together.
That said, many of the couch-type gliders are comfortable enough, that the recline feature is an added luxury —that’s nice to have— but not absolutely necessary.
One last thing on shopping for glider rockers for the nursery.
You’ll spend a lot of time sat on a chair during the early weeks of babyhood. It’s where you feed, put your baby to sleep, read them a book or have morning cuddles.
Here are some other things you might also want to make this chair as comfortable as possible:
- Buy a nursery glider with have a high back for good lumbar support. You’ll be immensely grateful for this support at 3:00 am.
- Some gliders are also rockers. This is often good for babies who find comfort in the rocking motion as it gets them to sleep and soothes them.
- Some nursery glider recliners also have a rocker feature. But once your baby starts moving, put precautions in place so that little fingers or toes don’t get stuck under it.
Buying a nursery glider more than anything is all about comfort. Sure, you can use a normal chair that you have right now. No hate in that. But if you feel that you need a comfortable extra wide glider rocker, the gliders I’ve listed above will give you that comfort. As they have for many other parents.
Alternatives To Buying A Nursery Glider Chair
Some parents use other types of chairs as a glider. Here are some ideas: