Following a no cook playdough recipe is ideal when you’re making it with your kids. This one’s very easy to make and a fun activity to do with the kids.
Simply get all the ingredients ready and your child can mix things together with very minimal effort on your part.
Below is the best no-cook playdough recipe for preschoolers that I have found.
Here’s what you’ll need to do.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp. Vegetable oil
- ½ cup salt
- 2 tbsp. Cream of tartar
- up to 1.5 cups of hot water (added in increments)
- optional: food colouring
- Using a medium-sized bowl, add in the cream of tartar, flour and salt. Mix them well.
- Next, pour in the oil. Then mix well with all the dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Slowly add the hot water. ** This I believe is important in the success of your no cook playdough. Start with half a cup and stir the mixture. Then add another half cup. Stir the mixture again. From this point onwards, slowly add the water in until it gets into the consistency and texture of playdough.**
Note: I’ve seen other recipe instructions where you just add the 1.5 cups right away. If you do do this and the dough seems too wet, you can leave it on the counter for a few minutes to let it dry.
- Mix and knead thoroughly.
This playdough feels very soft but it gets dry very quickly when you leave it out. We left it in the open air for about three hours and we could actually see it getting dry. See the picture below.
However, we have also kept it in a ziploc bag in a cool place for two months and that hasn’t dried up at all.